This has been a very busy week. Between work and health tests and everything else consuming my life, I’m really ready for this particular week to be over.

Monday I worked from campus instead of working from home because I had to have my labs drawn, a chest x-ray, a barium swallow, an ultra sound, and an EKG done at the hospital. And my oh my, what an interesting day that turned out to be. I received a follow-up phone call the next day from my surgeons’ office and I’m kinda really glad that I’m having all of this done because, yeah. I have a laundry list of issues that have not made themselves symptomatically obvious yet. Hiatal Hernia, gall stones, Vitamin D deficient, and a heart arrhythmia. The heart arrhythmia is the only one that is not an issue because it was consistent with a prior EKG, but everything else has a treatment plan. Brad is kind of freaking out about everything because he thinks that this is all such a huge deal. For me though, it’s just confirmation that I’m getting my body and my health in gear at the perfect time. These issues are physically obvious by testing, but they aren’t apparent in my every day life. That’s like catching cancer before you ever have to suffer from it and actually being able to treat it and save your life. I feel like it’s a blessing, not a bad thing.

One of the requirements for woman who have bariatric surgery is that any type of birth control has to be mechanical versus a pill. Because of the rerouting of the stomach and the changes in absorption, they do not know how much of the pill is absorbed to actually aid in preventing conception. So on Wednesday, once I discovered the requirements (requirements that will not be openly discussed on this here blog), I made a quick and incredibly embarrassing phone call to my boss and took off to the doctor for a few hours. Procedure complete, back to work for the last hour and a half of the day.

I was off yesterday for more tests and doctors appointments. My morning appointment was for my psych eval, and I was so pleased with the appointment. We talked and had really great conversation and he had a wonderful ability to not make me feel like I was being evaluated, even though he kept saying, “Okay, moving on to the next part of the evaluation”. Ha. We ended up discussing some things not related to the evaluation and I walked out of there feeling like I was on a cloud. I get it. I get why sane people see psychiatrists. A psychiatrist is not like a friend. They don’t tell you how you should feel, they don’t say it’s going to be okay, they don’t compare you to themselves, and this particular guy didn’t even seem like he was evaluating everything coming out of my mouth…he seriously just listened to me and acted like he cared. He smiled, raised his eyebrows, frowned and he did all of the above at exactly the right parts. I felt heard. I didn’t feel judged. And most of all, everything that came out of my mouth will not be held against me at a later date. It came out, was heard, and ::poof:: it’s gone. What a sigh of relief.

The next appointment was my gastroenterologist, and that appointment was not a fun one by any means. I love the staff and the doctor. I hate the news he gave me. I have to have an EGD. You know, the light-down-the-throat procedure. I’m hoping I will be approved for anesthesia vs. sedative, because the idea that I may remember this horrific procedure is almost a deal breaker for me. I cried in the doctor’s office. It’s that bad.

So anyways, tonight is my sleep study and that is the absolute last appointment left (or at least it was, prior to scheduling the EGD) before I set up my final appointment with my surgeon and we set a date. So tonight I do not get to sleep with Brad, I do not have to put any pacifiers in at 3 in the morning, I don’t have to get the baby at 6:30 and keep her occupied until 7 to eat. And as weird as it sounds, I’m kind of dreading it. I’m happy to be able to read to my heart’s content until lights out at 11:30, but that is pretty much the only part of this I am looking forward to. Wires, cables, belts, monitors and sticky stuff in my hair do not appeal. Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic that I haven’t heard the baby, and not feeling my husbands warm body next to me are very far from exciting. But I will focus on the positive and try my best to consider this a mom’s night out.

But this weekend is going to be wonderful. We have family coming down for the weekend to celebrate Mother’s Day (GUS, GAA, Mark, and Sherri) and we’ll be going to Wilmington to visit my brother and his girlfriend on Sunday. This is my first Mother’s Day as a real mom, not just pregnant and it’s very surreal.

It’s such a privilege to be a mom, a blessing and an opportunity that I do not take for granted. Happy Mother’s day to all of you moms, enjoy your special day!